Month: October 2020
HOW TO MONITOR YOUR MENTAL HEALTH IN UNIVERSITY- Mental health includes our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. It affects how we think, feel, and act. It also helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Over the course of your life, if you experience mental health problems ,then your thinking, mood, and behavior are likely to be affected.Read More
So, let’s understand what are the benefits of positive mental health. Positive mental health allows people to:
- Realize their full potential
- Cope up with the stresses of life
- Work productively
- Make meaningful contributions to their communities
As the topic suggests, university students are generally facing various mental problems such as:
- Stress and anxiety
- Suicide and depression
- College addiction
- Eating disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- Sleep issues
The above are some examples of mental disorders that university students often face.
Many of the students must have encounter these problems and would have possibly not able to find the reasons of such problems, so, nowadays, universities are provided with psychological health experts to whom students can share their problems and also find a solution. The problems and the solutions are not the same for every student and it therefore varies, so a student should personally visit the health expert and find a solution. If one is uncomfortable with discussing such matters, one can also find solutions to such problems on various mobile apps such as Biobase, Talkspace, Shine, Moodfit, etc.
Now, the question arises that how should one resolve such issues? Following are some measures which can prove useful in resolving mental issues:
- Academic stress can be avoided by taking a break in between your studies, set up a timetable giving time for studies as well as some recreational activities, this will refresh your brain and reduce stress.
- Depression is often caused when one is facing undue peer pressure or academic deterioration. The effective way to avoid this is by avoiding undue peer pressure which can sometimes actually cause someone to attempt suicide and study diligently so that you don’t feel depressed about your scores.
- University students are often addicted to bad habits such as smoking and drinking, this can be due to undue peer pressure. Such habits can destroy your career and your life as well. Those who are not addicted must avoid these and those who have become addicted can visit the rehabilitation centers for cure.
- Eating disorder is caused by binge eating. This can be as a result of anxiety. Therefore, it is advised to eat at regular intervals and avoid abnormal eating habits.
- Bipolar disorder is a mood disorder. It can be treated by medication, therapy, and lifestyle changes.
- Sleep disorders can be as a result of stress and one can overcome these by doing yoga and exercise. Avoid stimulants such as nicotine and caffeine.
Mental or psychological disorders have become very common due to monotonous lifestyle nowadays. Some are even chronic disorders, while others have different levels of side-effects. the best way is to find a professional mental health expert.
“The only thing more exhausting than having a mental illness is pretending like you don’t.”